Protect a document with a password
This document shows how you can password protect a word document. If you are using this to send to a to a 3rd party we would always suggest you send the Password via a different method. For Example if you email the encrypted password to a client/customer then proved the unlock password over a phone call or as a SMS.
- Go to File > Info > Protect Document > Encrypt with Password.
- Type a password, then type it again to confirm it.
- Save the file to make sure the password takes effect.
Mac OS- Newer
- Go to Review > Protect Document.
- Under Security, you can select whether to enter a password to open the document, modify the document, or both. Enter each password again to confirm.
- Click OK.
Word for Mac 2011
- On the Word menu, click Preferences.
- Under Personal Settings, click Security .
- In the Password to open box, type a password, and then click OK.
- In the Confirm Password dialog box, type the password again, and then click OK.
- Click Save .
Word Online can’t encrypt a document with a password, and it can’t edit documents encrypted with a password. If you want to protect the file with a password, click or tap Open in Word to open your document in the desktop version of Word. After you’ve added password protection, you’ll need to use the Word desktop program to open the document.